European Researchers’ Night
Тhe European Researchers’ Night is a mega event which takes place every year simultaneously in about 300 cities all over Europe and beyond.
Whether with family, friends, your school, or on your own, you will find yourself exploring science in engaging ways. Discover what researchers really do and why it matters for your daily life… and even what they do besides their science!
Save the date
Friday 28 September 2018
Watch this space! More details coming soon.
The REFRESH project
This European Researchers’ Night project is funded by the European Commission under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie actions.
What is REFRESH?
REFRESH (Relate, Experience, Find Research Everywhere and SHare) is a 20-month project led by the Centre for Research and Analysis with 20 partners and 27 associates. The Consortium includes 14 academic institutions, Bulgaria’s only tech park, a chamber of industry and commerce, the local office of a pan-European organisation, education entrepreneurships and a media outlet.
REFRESH focusses on enhancing the public understanding of and engagement with science and encouraging children, especially girls, to study STEM subjects. The project includes at least 14 cities/towns with live-streaming, face-to-face events at schools, libraries, museums, city venues and public transport, science talks and shows, hands-on experiments, lab visits and citizen science.
- Centre for Research and Analysis
- Association Forum Science
- British Council
- Forum Democrit
- Medical University-Plovdiv
- Medical University Sofia
- Technical University Sofia
- Technical University Gabrovo
- University of Food Technologies
- University of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy
- University of Mining and Geology
- National Sports Academy
- Institute of Oceanology – Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
- National Museum of Natural History – Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
- Institute of Ethnology & Folklore – Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
- Sofia Tech Park
- Ruse Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Maritsa Vegetable Crops Research Institute
- Bulgarian Geographic Portal – Geograf BG
- Fun Mathematics
- Institute of Microbiology – Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
- Sofia University
- Technical University Varna
- Southwest University Blagoevgrad
- Software University Sofia
- Medical University Pleven
- NM Genomix
- Astronomical observatory Sofia
- Union of Bulgarian Scientists
- Association of Young Polar Researchers
- International Association of Geomorphologists
- Municipal Centre for Extracurricular Activities – Dolna Mitropolia
- National Polytechnical Museum
- Natural History Museum Kotel
- History Museum Kotel
- Tuida Fortress Sliven
- Regional Library Stara Zagora
- Natural Park Vitosha
- Sofia Municipality
- Gabrovo Municipality
- Municipal Information Centre Sliven
- Plovdiv Culture Capital 2019 Foundation
- Move BG
- BRЕEAM BG
- Working Ideas Applied Research
Competitions in 2018
You can now take part in the competitions we traditionally organise in the run-up to the event. The deadline is 20 September and you can apply via our media partner website Nauka.bg (in Bulgarian).
REFRESH Photo and Video
An online photo and video competition for young people in which participants will be challenged to find evidence of science and research, make a photo or a selfie with their mobiles, or shoot a 3-minute video about a science topic, and upload them.
This is a drawing competition for children and young people with hearing disabilities about how they see themselves in science. The works will be displayed during the European Researchers’ Night.
A series of mp3 audio recordings of science talks to be distributed during the Nights and downloadable, especially for the visually impaired. The aim, besides catering for underrepresented groups, is to gradually increase the volume of the audio-library and turn it into a valuable resource for people with both visual impairments and reading difficulties.
REFRESH Girls in science
Online essay competition for girls on how they see themselves in science and technology.